"The Lord's lovingkindness indeed never cease, His compassions never fail. They are new every morning: great is Your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22, 23

Saturday, July 19, 2008

The First Week






The first week home has been an adventure!! From doctors’ visits for jaundice, to restless nights, to Malachi making little yellow water fountains and trying to stay awake while feeding.

Coming home from the hospital was exciting. I was looking forward to sleeping in my own bed, taking a hot shower, and being able to care for my child without nurses interrupting every hour. I was able to enjoy my bed and not being surrounded my nurses, but not a hot shower. Some how, while we were gone for three days the water went from very hot to warm. That was a little disappointing, but I survived.

My mom stayed with us for four days helping out where ever she could and she did. Monday when we got home she went grocery shopping for us and made dinner. Tuesday she vacuumed our house, did laundry, made covers for our rocking chair (to match Malachi’s room), and made dinner again. By Wednesday she was running out of things to do around the house so she joined us for our doctors’ visit and then we treated her. We took her to the mall and let her pick out her birthday present. We wanted to get her new crocs, so we let her pick what color she wanted, and then we took her out to lunch. We tried a new place that she has been telling us about, but it wasn’t what we expected. We still enjoyed it though. That night she made dinner again. She really spoiled us.
Thursday (her birthday) she decided it was probably time to go home. As much as she didn’t want to leave her grandson, she knew she would have to leave us some time. Chris and I are so thankful that she stayed as long as she did and for everything she did for us. She really helped us out with adjusting to our new lifestyle. We couldn't have asked for more. Thank you so much Momma.

The doctors’ visits were a scare. Colorado has a high risk for jaundice in new babies and when mom and baby have certain blood types that are different, it could raise that risk. Well we had both. Malachi and I have different blood types, so Malachi needed some tests done to make sure he was doing ok. Poor Malachi was pricked five times in his heels for the test. Three while we were at the hospital and once at each doctors’ visit. Monday we were beginning to worry when we got the call saying his test results went up a lot from the day before and we would have to come in the next day for another test. Tuesday we were prepared for the worst but hoping for the best. When our phone rang we all held our breath to hear the results; God had blessed us with a healthy baby and we didn’t want that to change under any circumstances. The doctor’s office told us the numbers had gone down and the doctors’ were no longer worried about him having jaundice; they’d see us in two weeks for another check up.

Malachi hasn’t developed a regular eating schedule, or sleeping schedule. Since I am breast feeding he has to eat every 2 to 3 hours during the day and every 3 to 4 hours at night. Malachi is starting to wake us up at night on his own letting us know he is hungry, but during the day we have to wake him up to feed him. Oh and at night he stays awake for an hour after feeding. So, not only are we up every two and half to three hours at night, we stay up for two hours with him too. During the day it’s a battle to keep him awake while he is feeding. Yes, his schedule is a little backwards, but they say after two to three weeks it turns around. I’m doing ok not getting 8 hours of sleep every night, its like being in college all over again and not getting any sleep. Chris on the other hand needs his 8 to 9 hours of sleep, so instead of getting up with me like we had planned; he stays in bed and sleeps through the night. He tries to get up with me and he does at least once during the night. There really isn’t anything for him to do, but it’s nice to have company and someone to keep me awake. I am pumping and once I start to produce enough milk Chris can start taking over a feeding so I can get a little more sleep. Chris is doing great, he does make sure I get a nap during the day and makes sure I have everything I need.

I think it’s funny how everyone tells you the horror stories of labor and delivery and all the pain it entails. What they don’t warn you about is the recovery from delivery and all the pain it entails. This week has been hard on my body. Not only am I recovering from delivery, my milk is coming in so I’m sore, I feel like I need to help out around the house with keeping things clean and organized, now add feeding every two hours to that and I’m pretty busy. It’s definitely been rough, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I love the beautiful, healthy son God has blessed Chris and me with. I thoroughly enjoy watching Chris with Malachi, he is a great dad and you can tell Malachi adores him already. Aside from being peed on almost every time we change his diaper and Chris getting pooped on (twice now) we enjoy our son and are learning more about him every day. We wouldn’t trade it for the world.

We are looking forward to next weekend when Malachi gets to meet more of his family and for August when Grandma Jodie gets to come out and see her first grandbaby. We are also planning a trip to Montana to visit more ‘family’ and friends in September. But for now I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

Love,
Cassie, Chris, and Malachi = )

4 comments:

Momma Marci said...

Well, you know me and computers...
I just typed this nice note, then found out I had to "join" first...
So. It did not save anything. I'm gonna stop now and see if this works b 4 I do this all over again.. Momma Marci

Momma Marci said...

Ha! I got it... no laughing
Anyway.. Wow Malachi looks so different in just 2 day's. The picture of Cassie and Malachi is SOOO cute. Yes Dad and son have deffinately bonded, His favorite place to sleep is in dad's arms. I have decided to nic name Malachi "squeek", cause of the squeek at the end of his cry!
The past week was the best vacation I have ever had! Spending the fist few day's with the 3 of you was unbeatable. I would not have missed it for anything. Looking forward to this weekend to see the 3 of you again.

mdlycan said...

Wow... sounds like you two are very busy adjusting to Malachi! It's encouraging to hear the joy in your message of having Malachi.... cause the process of recovery does not sound like very much fun!!!!

Cory and Kendi Knop said...

When are you coming to Montana and will I get to see you and the family??!! I hope so! You are doing so great! It is nice of you to let Chris sleep too. He is adorable and you guys are awesome parents.