(This is a little long so please take some time to read and enjoy the pics)
Thanksgiving week was a lot of fun for Malachi and I, but not as much for Chris =(. Malachi and I took off Wednesday after Chris went to work to drive to Denver and spend the night so I wouldn't have to wake Malachi up early to drive Thanksgiving morning. Thursday (Thanksgiving) my Mom, Dave, JP, Malachi and I all drove to Greeley for Thanksgiving lunch at my Aunt Stephanie's. Malachi was in awe of JP and couldn't stop starring and smiling at him, it was so cute. While at my Aunt Stephanie's Malachi got a little fussy, I think he was overwhelmed with all the people he didn't recognize, but he eventually calmed down and was great the rest of the time.
My one task was to get Malachi to laugh for everyone, well he was a little distracted be everyone so he wasn't paying attention to me. When we were living to head home I finally got him to laugh, then everyone else started climbing in the truck and he was distracted again. We got back to my mom's around 6pm or so and I didn't feel like getting back in a car for another hour and half so we spent the night again; poor Chris home alone for another night. There was suppose to be some snow Thursday into Friday, but there wasn't and I had packed enough clothes for Mac and I to stay until Sunday, for our second Thanksgiving dinner with the other side of the family, in case it did snow. After talking to Chris Friday we decided I should just stay until Sunday anyway and spend some time with my mom. Chris was enjoying the quite house and bed all to himself. So our two day, two night trip turned into a five day, four night trip away from home.
My mom and I had a blast. We went Christmas shopping and baked all day Saturday in preparation for Sunday. I made homemade dinner rolls (Chris Lycan's recipe) for the first time. My mom and I were a little scared how they would turn out, but luckily they were great and Chris approved of them. My mom made three pies, two stuffing's, a cranberry dessert, prepared yams (yuck), and a lot more. She even made dinner, BBQ ribs, she definitely spoiled me while I was there. That morning I made steak and eggs for breakfast, yum. Chris was missing out. My mom was also enjoying the time she got to spend with her grandson, trying to get him to laugh, but not succeeding.
Malachi learned a few things while we were in Denver. He now rolls over from his belly to his back. It's hard to keep him on his belly now. He is also eating fruits and veggies with rice cereal twice a day. So far he likes green beans, peas, carrots, bananas, and pears. He hates sweet potatoes and squish. It so much fun feeding him too, he makes the cutest faces. He also learned how to hold his own bottle and knows what his bottle is. You can't let him see a bottle, even an empty one because he wants it.
Sunday rolls around and its snowing! The news didn't say anything about snow Sunday morning. It started at about 6am and didn't stop!! There were a lot of road closures, one preventing my Uncle to make it down. Denver roads weren't to bad, but if you went north or south of Denver the roads weren't so good. I called Chris, who worked until 3am and had to wake up at 8:30am to make it to Denver by 11am, telling him the roads weren't great and asked if he still wanted to drive up. After five hours of sleep he wasn't in the mood to be told he woke up for nothing, plus he missed his family, so he came. It took a little longer than the regular hour and half, but he made it and said the roads weren't horrible just everyone being cautious and driving slow. We missed my Uncle, but everyone else still made it.
It was fun, we saw my nieces, and my little brother, Devin, who I don't see very often. Dinner was great, and we had a blast spending time with family. Time came to go home. We didn't catch a news report of the roads before we left, but figured CDOT had enough time to clear roads, plus it wasn't snowing anymore, in Denver anyways. We hit the road at 4:45pm knowing it would be a slow drive due to weather and road conditions. Needless to say we didn't realize the roads would be as bad as they were, how much traffic there would be the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and that is was still snowing south of Denver. We had to pull off at the one rest stop between Denver and Colorado Springs to feed Malachi, which took two and half hours to get to. We ended up spending an hour there because everyone was getting off the highway to wait it out and have a potty break since traffic wasn't moving. Then the cars were getting stuck in the rest area and everyone was helping everyone get out, because there was only one way out and cars were blocking it. We finally got back on the highway and it was moving a little faster, we think the traffic let down a little since it was after 8pm ,which was nice. We finally made it home at 9:45pm. It took us five hours to get from Denver to home. The best part was after we passed North Academy on I-25 and there was no snow, anywhere. Oh how we love Colorado weather, you never know what to except, even if you are the weather man. Chris has decided to never travel the Sunday after Thanksgiving again.
Other new things Malachi is into are wrappers, food bags, and big cups. I think he likes the noises they make. It's really funny listening to him talk into the cup.
Love you all.










2 comments:
You had a great time getting home like I did!! That sucks it took so long but glad you are safe. I can't wait to see Malachi!!
Wow! Gotta love driving in the snow. :-( I'm glad you got some good family time! We leave Friday after I'm done with school.... we're going to Guernsey then finishing the trip to Minden on Sat. We're not sure how long we're staying. :-) What are your Christmas plans?
Post a Comment